Friday, July 17, 2009

Git Er Done Girl!

It's official. I am the "git er done" girl. Fishing by the Rappahannock at the City Dock is about one of my most favorite things to do. I take my chair, my fishing pole, some "special" bait and just settle in and soak up the atmosphere. As a lot of people who fish know, it is usually never about the fish. I am usually limited to catching the same baby catfish or bass repeatedly. On day I sat down beside two young men who were fishing with their daughters. The girls were a bit more interested in chasing each other, shrieking (like only little girls know how to shriek), and in visiting others. Dads were manning the poles including a little Barbie fishing pole which belonged to the older girl. She was 5 though she did tell me she was almost 6. Almost 6 as it turns out means she had just turned 5 and almost 6 was one year away. Her friend had just turned 3.

At one point the almost-6-year-old had to go to the bathroom. Dad said "looks like we need to find the porta a john." Girl asked "what's a porta a john?" Dad responded that she was about to "find out." The 3-year-old decided she needed to go potty. When does that desire to want to go to the bathroom in pairs really start? Is it nature or nurture? Her dad was wise enough to point out that she was a big girl and could no doubt "hold it" better than her friend. I guess the female version of "manning up." Not one to back down to that kind of challenge; she agreed.

Ron showed up after a bit and the girls went into action. He was shown all the contents of the almost-6-year-old's purse. This included a broken mirror, a Dora The Explorer doll, a pink bracelet, and numerous other items. The prized item though was a toy camera. Not a real camera she was quick to explain. Her real one was at home and it had flowers on it. During this time I managed to catch my usual baby fish. The girls were very interested in touching it and of course quite upset when it was time to remove the hook. We said goodbye to the fish and tossed it back in. It would no doubt be caught by me again at some point, later in the evening.

Time went on, Ron left and the 3-year-old and her dad left; much to the almost-6-year-old's sadness. She then came up and reviewed the inventory in her purse with me again. I responded to some question and that is when she said it. "You sound like a git er done girl." Then she repeated it, just in case my git er done ears did not hear it the first 3 times. I could not even remember what she asked nor the question I answered, but apparently the "Virginia girl" came sneaking out and there it was. The evening was not over as I was approached by a woman who wanted to discuss the issues of the world and also the good looking guy she saw 2 hours earlier. She said he was a hunk and only wished she was 20 years younger. All I could think of is where is that almost-6-year-old when you need her?? Git er done!

No comments:

Post a Comment